We stand with Lambda Legal and over 60 other national LGBTQ+ advocacy organizations in urging the Senate to oppose the confirmation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court.
The letter we joined, which was authored by Lambda Legal, highlights our five biggest concerns about Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s extreme record.
(1) Judge Kavanaugh believes that unenumerated fundamental rights must be tethered narrowly to “tradition,” an approach that “inherently favors those who historically have enjoyed power and privilege and that would erode or eliminate significant protections for LGBT people.”
(2) We have serious concerns that Judge Kavanaugh would support a novel and radical approach to religious freedom. As we’ve seen in #MasterpieceCakeshop, we must keep those who serve the public #OpenToAll the public.
(3) Judge Kavanaugh will gut critical health care protections — including protections against being denied health coverage for preexisting conditions, which would “gravely threaten the health of people living with HIV and transgender people.”
(4) In this troubling time, when core aspects of our democracy are under attack, we are deeply troubled by Judge Kavanaugh’s extreme views about the limits of executive privilege and the proper amount of deference owed to the President.
(5) Judge Kavanaugh’s record shows he places the interests of the rich and powerful above those of economically vulnerable communities. LGBT people and people living with HIV live in poverty at disproportionately high rates.
You can read the entire letter.